An unidentified 13-year old Venezuelan girl faces the prospect of having one of her leg amputated; and doctors feared her worsening condition might even result to her death if not properly taken care of medically.
The girl was reportedly bitten by a snake of yet unknown species causing a laceration to an artery in her leg, resulting to bleeding and ultimately leading to what is known as “compartment syndrome” – a serious condition which occurred when a decrease in blood supply to the affected muscles is caused by pressure within a “compartment” such as a leg.
The snake venom has caused severe necrosis or the premature death of cells, essentially causing the tissue to die, leaving the muscles to wither and rot.
The picture below (Warning: graphic contnet), which was posted on Instagram by one juventudmedica, showed the girl’s leg has completely turned black, more looking like a dry tree twig.
According to the Daily Mail, the girl did not immediately seek medical treatment but used indigenous medicines from the place where she came from. He was only taken to a hospital in the capital Caracas after a moth, during which the doctors said the leg has to be amputated.
Speaking to the Mail, a general practitioner who was shown the photograph, Dr. Arun Ghosh from Liverpool, said the picture clearly shows severe and the leg has to amputated as soon as possible, although the girl may still die from the snake venom.
“The whole lower leg is black, it’s spreading up. Looking at the rest of her body she’s showing signs of muscle wastage from the poison. Her other leg is thin. It’s likely she will still die,” he said.Dr. Ghosh explained the severe necrosis has now led to rhabdomyolysis, a life-threatening condition caused by the deterioration of muscle all throughout the body. Rhabdomyolysis can cause kidney failure and can be fatal if not treated properly. (Click here to read more)