- An OFW from Saudi Arabia suffered heart attack while in a stopover in Dubai last year
- He has since slipped into coma and is now dependent on oxygen to breathe
- His medical bills has racked up to almost P1.5-million, and needs at least P400,000 more for the repatriation
- A kind Filipino social worker has been taking care of him at the Dubai Hospital
DUBAI, UAE – An overseas Filipino worker (OFW) from Saudi Arabia who suffered heart attack while in transit at the Dubai airport last year continues to receive medical attention at the Dubai Hospital despite incurring bills amounting to more than AED 100,000.
The OFW was identified in an article by Janice Ponce De Leon for Gulf News as Carlito Arenas, a 49-year-old aluminum fabricator working in Saudi Arabia.
He suffered heart attack while in stopover in Dubai in October 5 last year. He has slipped into coma and has since been unresponsive.
Citing Arenas’ medical records, Gulf News said the patient is in a post-cardiac arrest vegetative state and oxygen-dependent. His kidney has also failed which requires him to undergo dialysis at least two times a week.
Dubai Hospital continues to take care of the patient
Arenas’ brother, Tommy, went to visit him last year but had to return home to the Philippines after three weeks due to financial constraints. Tommy left the care of his brother to Filipino social worker Rey Angulo who has since looked after the OFW in coma.
As of March 2, Arena’s bill has racked up to AED 118,000 (P1.5-M) and bringing him home in a stretcher with a nurse-escort will require an additional AED 35,000 – AED 40,000 (P440,000 – P505,000).
“What I appreciate most is Dubai Hospital continues to take care of him,” Angulo told Gulf News.
An official from the Dubai Hospital however, said Angulo need to take Arenas home and settle the bills later as his further stay may further complicate his condition; possibly contracting secondary infection. (Click here to read more)